Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Who is your best friend?

Who has never heard the old saying.... "Dog is man's best friend" I am sure there aren't many hands up!!



I'm afraid that I have to admit that I am not much of a dog person and much prefer cats,  but I have a true story about my early childhood about a very loyal dog my parents owned.


At age 3-6 we lived on a smallholding just outside of a small town called Elliot, in South Africa. First few years we lived on our own, but after my grandmother passed on when I was 5 years old, we moved in with my grandfather who lived about half a mile away from our first house.

My parents both worked in town and until my grannie's passing, I used to stay with her during the day while my mother was at work.

As I mentioned before, they owned a dog. To save my mother time in the mornings she made good use of the dog's loyalty. She would place my arm in the dog's mouth and tell him "grannie" and he would walk me to my grandparents house. He would not release my arm until either my grandma or grandpa gave him a piece of chopped wood to take home. They actually tested him by ignoring us and carrying on with some chores outside. No matter how I pulled on my arm and spoke to him, he held on until the piece of wood was given in exchange. He refused to accept the wood from anyone else so it was quite safe to assume that he handed me to one of them.



If that isn't proof of loyalty and intelligence nothing is!

I am sure that many people have experienced such loyalty in their pets. Animals are strange creatures and often surprise us with their intelligence.

Here are a few "animal friends" quotes....

 There is in all animals a sense of duty that man condescends to call instinct.  ~Robert Brault

The kind man feeds his beast before sitting down to dinner. 
~Hebrew Proverb

Man is rated the highest animal, at least among all animals who returned the questionnaire. 
~Robert Brault


Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.  ~ Colette

The difference between friends and pets is that friends we allow into our company, pets we allow into our solitude. 
~Robert Brault,

If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around. 
~Will Rogers

I hope all my friends enjoyed this true story.

No comments: