Monday, June 30, 2008

A MAGIC CARPET RIDE

.
.
I was sitting all alone in the dark, deep in thought. It was a quiet evening without even a hint of a breeze - warm and sultry and I was enjoying the solitude.

Suddenly I heard it....a strange sound, almost like a whisper in the leaves of the palm tree outside the window. I was curious to see what the sudden sound was, so I stepped outside onto the patio.I could not believe my eyes!! Straight ahead was a friend of mine with her daughter floating on a carpet!!

Surely that was impossible, but I saw it with my own eyes - were my eyes deceiving me? Another shock was in store for me!! As I looked up at this incredible scene, I saw the sun and the moon in the dark night sky together. Surely this was a figment of my imagination!! Even greater was my surprise when my friend spoke to me and invited me to join them on their flight of fantasy.

Without hesitation I found myself moving closer, and being pulled up onto the magic carpet. As soon as I was settled I felt the wind through my hair with a swoosh sound as we sped through the air. Far below us I saw the city lights and the reflection of the sun and the moon on the ocean. It was the most incredulous feeling - absolute silence, but for the wind rushing past my ears. I have never experienced such peace before - such beauty. The burnished sky and its reflection in the water below was something no words can describe. I wish I had my camera with me so that I could share that moment with all the people I left behind....all those who would not believe my tale when I returned home.

Home!! Suddenly I wondered - will I ever get home again but this did not bother me too much. I could stay where I was forever and not regret a moment of it!!

My friends and I were chatting and laughing while we nibbled on some fruit and enjoyed the juice that was right there in a basket on the carpet. We were having this lovely picnic while flying over trees and rooftops and enjoying the unbelievable beauty all around us.

Eventually I saw that we had gone full circle and my house was coming closer and closer. That is when it hit me that my awesome journey was over, and I had to return to the every day life at home. I was quite sad at this knowledge, but I realized that life had to continue. I had this beautiful life - a life that, in reality, was great. It was an unbelievable experience to fly through the air on a magic carpet, but reality is just as good.

In reality too much magic would become boring and mundane - the same way we sometimes think our lives are boring and mundane. How does the saying go.... Too much of a good thing isn't good any more!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely Fantasy! Lovely View of "Reality" too! Life is good ... if only we just could remember it to be!